Anderson University traces its origin to one of the
first institutions of higher learning for women in
the United States. The Johnson Female Seminary
opened in the village of Anderson in 1848. The
founder was the Reverend William B. Johnson, a
Baptist who was the first president of the
Southern Baptist Convention.
Anderson University is an academic community,
affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist
Convention, providing a challenging education
grounded in the liberal arts, enhanced by
professional and graduate programs and a co-
curricular focus on the development of character,
servant leadership, and cultural engagement.
This is a diverse community that is Christ-
centered, people-focused, student-oriented,
quality-driven, and future-directed.