Login  |  Sign Up

 The Kent Gazette

Kent does not have any current news stories.

Would you like to submit a news, sports or entertainment story?

  • Federal subpoena shows Grand Jury probing Bridgeport
    BRIDGEPORT - A subpoena issued to the city by federal authorities shows a grand jury in New Haven is actively probing possible municipal corruption. The Feb. 4 subpoena obtained by Connecticut Hearst Media seeks city records from Jan. 1, 2015, to Nov. 8, 2018, which includes both the final year of former Mayor Bill Finch’s administration as well Mayor Joe Ganim’s tenure in office, which began December 2015. The subpoena demanded all documents, emails, voice mails, receipts, invoices and other communications regarding scrap metal sales by the city Department of Public Facilities, which allegedly created an off-budget fund from those sales. U.S.
  • Man arrested after hitting Milford police car, I-95 pursuit
    MILFORD - A New Haven man has been arrested after hitting a Milford police car and a pursuit on I-95 on Monday. It began around 2 p.m. when Milford police were dispatched to Town Fair Tire, 1326 Boston Post Road, on the report of a male attempting to use gift cards which were previously purchased using fraudulent credit card accounts. Officer Joseph Dempsey said in a release that when police arrived they saw the suspect and suspect vehicle attempting to leave the parking lot. “The officer positioned the patrol vehicle in front of the suspect and initiated a stop. The suspect then drove his vehicle striking the patrol car and exited the parking lot heading south onto I-95.
  • Man charged in teen’s shooting at Stratford basketball court
    STRATFORD — A local man has been charged with the drive by shooting of a teenager who was watching a basketball tournament in August. Jacquez Smith, 20, who police said is a member of a local gang, was charged with first-degree assault, reckless endangerment, having a weapon in a motor vehicle, criminal possession of a firearm, criminal possession of ammunition and carrying a pistol without a permit. He was being held in lieu of $300,000 bond. Police said on Aug. 7, the 16-year-old victim was among a large crowd watching a tournament at the George Force Basketball Courts on Woodend Road about 7 p.m. when someone in a passing car began shooting at the crowd.
  • Milford man accused of stealing donation box from diner
    MILFORD — A 59-year-old Milford man was arrested Wednesday for allegedly stealing a charitable donation box from a diner in January. Charles Ticknor, of Sunnyside Court, was charged with sixth-degree larceny. He is accused of stealing the box from the Bridgeport Flyer Diner on Bridgeport Avenue on Jan. 14.
  • Ansonia police seek help to find missing teen
    ANSONIA - The Ansonia Police Department is requesting assistance locating a missing person/runaway identified as Anestee Durham, age 16. Anestee is described as a black female, 5’ 8” tall, weighing 130 pounds with a tattoo of an unknown design on her left arm. She was last seen wearing a florescent green jacket, jeans and brown boots. Lt. Patrick Lynch said Anestee has ties to Bridgeport and Stratford and may be in those areas. Anyone who has seen Anestee or has any information about her whereabouts is asked to call the Ansonia Police Department at (203) 735-1885.
  • Police: Bridgeport homicide sparked by ‘transaction gone bad’
    BRIDGEPORT — During the first six weeks of the year, Bridgeport has seen five homicides — the most recent the death of a teen gunned down late Monday night. Police are deep into the search for his killer. Dyshon Williams, 19, was found shot to death around 10:45 p.m. Monday near Luis Munoz Marin School on Helen Street. Williams, who lived on Cowles Street in the city, was shot multiple times and was pronounced dead at the scene. “It looks like some kind of transaction gone bad,” said Police Chief Armando Perez Tuesday afternoon. “We’re working on it. Detectives are still out there talking to people.
  • Troopers catch wrong-way DUI driver on I-84
    On Monday morning, State Police in Troop H received multiple 911 calls concerning a wrong way driver traveling eastbound on I-84 westbound in Plainville. “Thanks to these callers a tragedy was averted,” troopers said in a release. “Troop H was able to locate and arrest this wrong way driver, who was driving under the influence. Connecticut State Police would like to remind people that a wrong way driver is a true emergency, if you see one do not hesitate, call 911 immediately! You will not get in trouble for using your phone while operating your vehicle when reporting an emergency such as this.
  • After bar fight, man threatens to shoot people in restaurant
    A 28-year-old Naugatuck man was arrested after police said he threatened to shoot patrons in a restaurant’s bar. Jonathan Figueroa, of Rubber Avenue, is also accused of slugging a bar patron in Santos Restaurant on Church Street in Naugatuck. After he was told to leave the bar, police said, Figueroa “returned while threatening to shoot patrons and gesturing with his hands that he was carrying a pistol,” according to the arrest report. Police were called to the Portuguese restaurant just before midnight Wednesday after the alleged threat. Police initiated a traffic stop of Figueroa’s vehicle a short distance from Santos on Maple Street.
[Invalid RSS feed: Top Connecticut News]